Translate

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Grandson on the WAY!

My oldest daughter is expecting a son to arrive sometime around the middle of September.  This gives one some time to reflect on what the hopes are for a grandson.  The list is long but can be achieved small bites at a time.

Grandparents want to teach children things that they might not otherwise learn in everyday life.  What is taught in school today is nothing like it was fifty years ago.  Some may say this is good but how much history do they learn?  As the old sayings goes, you have to learn from the past or you will repeat the same mistake again.

After the child is old enough, has been potty trained and can hold a knife and fork to feed himself, then this grandparent can jump in.
Me and my Granddad
 I was told that my granddad would take me with him to the farm field on the tractor when he was working the fields.  He took a wooden box and set it in the field and would leave me at the box to play while he worked.  It was also to keep me occupied while he was working and I could also crawl into the box to take a nap.

I could teach him how to drive a tractor.  How to plow and disc a garden.  How to plant vegetables and tend to those vegetables that come from the ground and not from a can.  How to share food for those that are in need of food. How to build a fence.  How to build a shed. How to shot a rifle. How to cut down a tree. How to build a rain barrel system.

The list is long and hopefully I have more than twenty years to help teach this young buckaroo.

No comments:

Post a Comment