Translate

Friday, March 15, 2013

From seeds they grow

Last spring I was given some tomato plants by a woman that had over 500 tomato plants in her greenhouse. Those plants produced some of the best tomatoes I have ever grown.  She told me how to get the mucous-like covering off the seeds and how to save the seeds.  First place the seeds in a small cup and cover the seeds with water.  Each day decant the fluid off until the mucous-like covering is dissolved away.  Once this is done then allow the seeds to dry and then put them in a paper envelope.

Since the tomatoes were so good I decided to try her method of saving the seeds.

Last one of the seeds to sprout



These were just transplanted to a larger pot.


They are growing and finally are looking like tomato plants.  I planted fifty-two seeds and fifty seeds have sprouted.  Now I can give some of the plants to family to grow and enjoy the juicy fruit.  A bunch of the fruit will be given to the local Daily Bread so they can serve with lunch.

Can't wait to put these babies in the ground.  Just have to wait for the weather to warm.  Come on SPRING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment