Translate

Monday, February 17, 2014

"BEST COW" Award


My "Yuppie" daughter was visiting us several years ago and noticed I had started displaying a trophy I had won in 1963.  It was a Fitting Award, which means I had the cleanest animal in the show competition.  She referred to it as "THE BEST COW" award. 

 

When I was growing up on the farm, my father determined that the best thing to pay for my future college fund, was to raise and show cattle.   

As you can see from this photo this was several years ago.  Between this time and two years later I had learned how to actually clean and show cattle.  It was a constant learning process. 

I am proud of my years in the 4-H Club.  It taught me about responsibility and accountability.  The decision my father made to raise show cattle paid off in the long run.  Each year I had a new heifer to raise, groom, and teach how to stand for the judges.  After the show process was over for the year, the heifer was turned out to pasture, breed and started providing calves.  This process was repeated for the next six years.

Each year the calves were sold and the money deposited for future college tuition.  Upon graduation from seven years of college I owed three thousand dollars.  With today's college tuition, I don't think this can be repeated.  My dad was smart to think ahead like that.  Thanks DAD!




No comments:

Post a Comment